Akhanda tujhi jaya preethi

 

Ramkrishnahari.

‘Bhakti’ is all about constant interaction with the lord.  Interaction entails communication.  All the saints of this land have taught us to choose our ‘ishta daivata’, communicate and strike a relationship with that deity.  That deity then becomes one amongst us just as we have our families.  We are then free to worship, cajole and even debate or argue with our ‘ishta daivata’.  The saints demonstrated these relationships during their lifetimes.  All these emotions which the saints entertained with their beloved lord have also flown down in the form of their compositions.  Depending upon where the saint hailed from, they are available in various regional languages.  The abhangs of the saints from ‘Maharashtra’ are available thus in the ‘marathi’ language.   The abhang that we are going to enjoy today is one such pearl from the nectar that flowed from ‘Tuka’.

अखंड तुझी जया प्रीति । मज दे त्यांची संगति । मग मी कमळापति । तुज नाणीं कांटाळा ॥१॥

“O Vithala ! give me the companionship of those who always hold love for you”.  Another interpretation is “give me the companionship of those on whom you have placed your love forever!!!”.   I know that those saints and their company is priceless which is why you hold them very close to your heart.  You would surely not want to fritter it away.  But well Vithoba ! if you want to be spared of all the troubles I cause to you, I can assure you that if you give me the company of the saints, I will never ever then come to you and bicker with you !!!  It is now upto you to choose this solution.

पडोन राहेन ते ठायीं । उगा चि संतांचिये पायीं । न मगें न करीं कांहीं । तुझी आण विठोबा ॥ध्रु.॥

(Vithoba seems to be silent and not relenting to ‘tuka’s entreaties.  So ‘tuka’ continues…)  Maybe you feel that you should not transfer your burden which is ‘me’, from your shoulder to the saints’ shoulders which is quite in order ‘Vithoba’.  Let me assure you that I will not unnecessarily keep going to them and cause a nuisance by asking them this and that.  I will just quietly stay at their service and seek refuge at their feet.  I swear on you ‘vithoba’ that I shall abide by this.

तुम्ही आम्ही पीडों ज्यानें । दोन्ही वारती एकानें । बैसलों धरणें । हाका देत दारेशीं ॥२॥

(Even now Vithoba seems to be unrelenting.  ‘Tuka’ now rebukes ‘vithoba’ and says…)

Why don’t you understand ?  It is not a great secret that both of us are having our troubles which we have been trying to solve for very long now.  My trouble is that Iam unable to free myself from the clutches of this world and your trouble is that try as you may, you are not able to liberate me.  I want to relieve both of us of these pains.  In the company of these saints I will learn to free myself from the clutches of this world and your desire to liberate me will also happen with the grace of these saints.   When I myself am taking this initiative, what bothers you?  Why are you so tight-lipped and not coming forward ?  Therefore, for your own sakes, I have decided to enter into a ‘dharna’.  I am going to place myself at your doorstep and keep raising slogans in protest.  You have to relent !!  Take it from me that there is no other way out of this for you !!!

तुका म्हणे या बोला । चित्त द्यावें बा विठ्ठला । न पाहिजे केला । अवघा माझा आव्हेर ॥३॥

(Vithoba ‘s is still unmoved.  ‘tuka’ once again gets into a request mode and says…)

‘O Panduranga !’ do these words of mine not mean anything to you ?  Please ! Please ! Please ! offer your attention to these laments of mine.  Your conduct is unacceptable.  You are ignoring me.

The abhang ends here.  What would have happened after this ?  why did ‘vithoba’ not relent ?  The only answer to these questions would be that under this heightened emotion, the abhangs that came as outpourings from ‘tuka’ were magnificent and ‘Vithoba’ allowed these ‘bhaavas’ to flow.  At one point in time ‘Vithu’ would have for sure acceded to ‘Tuka’s words and granted him his wish.

Ramkrishnahari.

Akhanda tujhi jaya preethi

Abhang Saahityam Curator: Sri Pundalik Maharaj Dehukar, a descendant of Sant Tukaram 

Bhaavaartha: Mumbai Sri Srinivasa Bhagavatar    

Editors : Smt Poornima Srikanth, Tripunithura, Smt Vishaka Srinivasan, Mumbai      

Tamil Translation: Smt Vasantha Srinivasan, Bengaluru     

Co-ordinator: V R Radhakrishnan, Chennai

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Haripath of Sant Jnaneshwar Mavuli - Lyrics in Marathi & Meanings in English

Kanadiya Vithoba Kanadiya